The Wellesley

Wellesley house is designed to embody the values of the school and aims to be an integral part of our school community. In time it is our ambition to create a strong pupil voice to motivate students and further the community spirit of the school. We emphasise the pastoral care of individuals, to ensure that each pupil reaches his/her potential whether academically, socially or in the many cultural, musical and sporting activities available. Thanks to the enthusiasm and dedication of the students, tutors and mentors in the Wellesley House, each and every one of them have been given a great opportunity to contribute and grow.

Manuel Sabio

Housemaster of the Wellesley

The Wellesley was named after Arthur Wellesley, the son of the Earl of Mornington, who was born in Dublin in 1769. After being educated at Eton and a military school at Angers he received a commission in the 73rd Infantry. Eventually Wellesley obtained the rank of captain and became aide-de-camp to the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland.

In 1806, Wellesley was elected as the MP for Rye in Sussex. A year after entering the House of Commons, the Duke of Portland appointed Wellesley as his Irish Secretary. In 1814 Wellesley was granted the title, the Duke of Wellington. He was then put in command of the forces which defeated Napoleon at Waterloo in June, 1815.

In 1828 Wellington replaced Lord Goderich as Prime Minister and eventually retired from public life in 1846. Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington died in 1852 and is buried in St Paul’s Cathedral.