The Stanley is named after the 14th Earl of Derby, Edward Stanley-Smith, a British Prime Minister who was also a key figure in the foundation of Wellington College, Berkshire. He was firstly, Vice President and then President of the College and made a speech at its opening in 1859. With its historical links to the past, The Stanley is rightly admired for being a significant house at Wellington both in the UK and here in Tianjin. We are especially admired for our sporting prowess and our ability to execute ambitious student led projects. Victors of the House Competition in the College’s founding year, we have set our sights on regaining the crown.
For the academic year 2018-2019 all pupils in the Stanley are focused on a year of personal and communal achievement.
The house is named after Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby.
He was head of a rich and powerful family known as the “Kings of Lancashire”. He was Prime Minister for three different periods, one of which coincided with the planning and foundation of Wellington College as a national memorial to the great Duke. He did much of the detailed work involved, was appointed at first as Vice-President and then President on the death of the Prince Consort, and made a speech at the opening of the college in 1859. The family maintained a close association with the college.
His grandson, Edward George Stanley, entered Kempthorne’s House (later the Stanley) in 1878. Later, Edward George Stanley, as 17th Earl of Derby, was Vice-President and Chairman of the Governors for most of the first half of the 20th century and as such was responsible for an event unique in English public school history. The leading owner and breeder of racehorses in his time, he won the Derby with Hyperion in 1933. On Speech Day two weeks later he requested the Master F.B. Malim to grant an extra week’s summer holiday to celebrate Hyperion’s victory. Although his facial language clearly betrayed his disapproval, Malim could not deny the publicly expressed wish of the Chairman, and the extra holiday was granted. The 17th Earl also did a signal service to the college by donating the Derby Field.